- Gospel: The Women’s Ministry of Heartland Baptist Church intentionally maintains a gospel orientation in our hearts and lives so that everything we do might be an overflow of the gospel (Titus 3:4-7).
- Truth: The Women’s Ministry of Heartland Baptist Church is committed to the biblical picture of womanhood as truth, regardless of cultural influence or opinion.
- Sound Doctrine: The Women’s Ministry of Heartland Baptist Church is committed to sound doctrine, in accountability to the staff and lay eldership, in order to articulate the biblical picture of womanhood in word and in deed (Titus 2:1, 3-4).
- Discipleship: The Women’s Ministry of Heartland Baptist Church, in obedience to Titus 2:3-5 intentionally seeks a balanced blend of sound doctrine taught in the context of covenant relationships that reflect that doctrine.
- Covenant: The Women’s Ministry of Heartland Baptist Church seeks to reflect the covenant relationship of God with his people in the following ways:
- The covenant is sovereignly initiated: We acknowledge that God reigns over his church (Ephesians 1: 19-23).
- The covenant is restorative: We understand that reconciliation is a priority for God, and thus, must be for us as well (2 Cor. 5:18-20).
- The covenant is relational: We understand that our relationships to each other should mirror God’s relationship with us (Ephesians 4:29-32).
- The covenant is compassionate: We equip women through practical ministries of mercy.
- The covenant is corporate: Isolation and independence are antithetical to the covenant of God with his people.
- The covenant is generational: We equip women to pass the legacy of biblical womanhood to the next generation.
“But as for you [Titus], teach what accords with sound doctrine . . . Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. ” Titus 2:1, 3-5
Titus 2:3-5 is not simply a suggestion to match older women and younger women. This gospel imperative is one part of the christian life. It is a part of the strategy for a local church to disciple God’s people.
The Titus mandate was given to the pastor of the church. Paul instructed Titus to equip older women in the congregation for the ministry of training younger women. This discipleship is to take place within the context of sound doctrine and under ecclesiastical authority. The commitment, oversight and protection of church leadership are biblical and essential.
In the Great Commission Jesus told us to make disciples. Titus 2 is a chapter on discipleship. At the end of the chapter Paul tells us why and how we can make such a radical investment in the lives of others.
“For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.” (vv. 11-14)
Jesus came, and He is coming back. This is the gospel. The gospel is the motivation for a commitment to disciple others.
Jesus gave Himself to redeem us and He is purifying us. The gospel is the power that enables us to disciple other women and the gospel is the power that will transform them into His likeness.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Model
- One part of the whole: A Titus 2 ministry does not stand alone. It is one component of the church’s discipleship ministry.
- Small groups rather than one-on-one:
- Definite time-frame: Women will sign up for a year at a time as part of a four year plan. The groups will meet once a month so that this ministry does not compete with other aspects of church or home life.
- Limited purpose: The purpose is to help women glorify God as they learn to think biblically and live covenantally as women. establish relationship,
- Specific curriculum: [/bra_list]
- Year 1: Spiritual Mothering (This year emphasizes building relationships.)
- Year 2: By Design (This study will help women make the paradigm shift in their thinking about womanhood.)
- Year 3: The Legacy of Biblical Womanhood (This emphasizes the application of the principles of womanhood to life and relationships.)
- Year 4: Your Home – A Place of Grace OR The True Woman (Both will be useful to help women solidify what they have learned and to begin thinking about how and where they will serve others in the body of Christ.)
For more information about the Titus 2 Discipleship or other women’s ministry events fill out the form below: